In the event of a fire, a smoke alarm can save your life and those of your loved ones. They are a very important means of preventing house and apartment fire fatalities by providing an early warning signal that alerts you and your family to escape.
Smoke alarms are one of the best safety devices you can buy and install to protect yourself, your family, and your home. Install smoke detectors on every level of your home, as well as outside every bedroom.
How Do I Keep My Smoke Alarm Working?
If you have a smoke alarm with batteries:
- Smoke alarms powered by long-lasting batteries are designed to replace the entire unit, according to manufacturer's instructions.
- In standard battery-powered smoke alarms, the batteries need to be replaced at least once per year, and the whole unit should be replaced every 8 to 10 years.
- In hard-wired battery back-up smoke alarms, the batteries need to be checked monthly, and replaced at least once per year. The entire unit should be replaced every 8 to 10 years.
- Test your smoke detectors monthly.
- The chirping sound means the battery is low.