How can I get a "Slow - Children at Play" sign for my street?
The City of Portland has adopted and complies with the guidelines of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). These policies identify specific traffic and pedestrian volumes, accident history, and any unusual conditions which must be present a traffic control device can be installed. Overuse of certain signs reduce their effectiveness and if installed where not justified they are largely ignored by drivers. Engineering studies have determined that Children at Play signs and other similar "non-enforceable" information signs do not help in reducing speeds and are, therefore, not recommended. A better way to deal with speeders is through increased radar patrols. If you believe there is an unusual number of speeders on your street, you can request extra radar patrols by making the request to the chief of police at (361) 777-4444.

Show All Answers

1. What phone number do I call for the Police?
2. How are Portland police officers trained
3. What is the requirement for display of my address?
4. Is there a teen curfew in Portland?
5. What is 2-1-1?
6. What is Code Red?
7. Where do I go to obtain a new driver license?
8. Do police officers have quotas for the number of citations they must write?
9. Do I need a permit for a block party?
10. How much is the alarm registration renewal charge?
11. What are the On-Street Parking Regulations?
12. Are there any parking bans in Portland?
13. Where can I find out about the laws related to parking?
14. Where do I report a streetlight or traffic light outage?
15. How can I get a "Slow - Children at Play" sign for my street?
16. How do I get a handicap parking permit?
17. How do I get a stop sign installed or the speed limit on my street lowered?
18. Can I contest a traffic ticket?
19. How do I file a police report?
20. Can I get a copy of the police officer's accident report?
21. Where do I register a Motor Vehicle?